Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Just Call Me the Aquascaper!

     It's February now and I'm losing my mind with Rich and Brenda's phone calls and messages. However, I keep my cool (most of the time) and press on. The screaming and swearing usually happens before or after the phone calls with Rich. The calls/emails usually went a little like this...

Day ten of question one: "Seriously man, how many times do I have to explain to you that I'm not going to post about the conference every day? Why? Because it will piss off the few people that we do have that have liked the page! Please trust me okay? Okay." 

Day fifteen of question 1,568,034: "Whhhhyyyy did you post an invitation  to the conference on your Facebook when there is already one on the OSRAS Facebook page? This is going to confuse people. Please take it down.

Day sixteen: "Please?" 

Day seventeen: "Please?" 

Day eighteen: "Please!" 

Day twenty: "PLEASE!" 

Day thirty-nine: "Oh my god! Fucking take it down!"

Day forty-one: "What do you mean you don't know how?!" 

Day forty-four: "No, I never had access to your Richard Facebook page! What are you talking about?!"

Day forty-five: "This is the info on how to add the 'like Facebook' to the OSRAS page you requested" (insert html and website info here)

Day forty-six: (this is me ignoring Rich's message about not understanding how to add the 'like Facebook' to the OSRAS website)

     Anyway, I'm sure you catch my drift here. I have learned to have patience over the years, far more than I did when I was younger but, its still far thinner than most peoples. Especially when people are just plain untrainable or think that they are right when they are just plain dumb. I have a life outside of OSRAS and that means I do not have time to argue over petty shit. Please try to remember, I'm doing you a favor here buddy...this is not my job. 

     Part of my not-job was to prepare for yet another presentation for the club. This one wasn't too big of a deal though because we already had most of the presentation done because we had done it for CTARS already; our aquascaping presentation. 


Flyer for the Presentation

     Rich and Brenda gave us the money to get the concrete while holding yet another BoD meeting at our home and at the January meeting gave us some rock to build them a structure for their tank to show the meeting. Wait, what?! Hold on one second! They wanted us to build them a structure for their tank with the concrete bought with OSRAS money? What the fuck! I thought this shady shit was the entire reasoning they started their club. Whatever. Then they asked me to make kits with the concrete to raffle out at the meeting too. Okay. No problem! 

     So, one fine sunny day Chris and I started the project....


I start by making the structure I want first...




     My dog Sparky decided he wanted to help too. His idea of helping is just dancing around like a little ballerina I think because he's half chihuahua and that's all I usually see these dogs doing...that or talking about taco's. 



Told you I was losing my mind! 


     Then came the process of actually putting the scape together.







     Chris also worked on large and small disks to raffle off at the meeting.
  



     Now, imagine that this next photo is me saying something along the lines like "this is one kick ass scape." I'm really in all reality saying something like, "we need to move this really soon so that we can get the pot roast on the table for dinner tonight." I prefer the first version better, it's just more fitting with the hand gesture I'm making. 


     When we were all done I went out to Walmart and bought these cool containers that I'm sure some of you will actually recognize, bread bags and used some old water bottles for the Acryl 60 mix and made five and ten pound kits for the meeting. I was extremely happy with the results of these. When I sent the picture to Rich he called me up and asked if there would be enough concrete and mix left for him after the presentation to finish his aquascaping in his tank? Seriously? Okay, I get it. And yeah, there will be plenty.  


    I didn't let Rich see his structure until the day of the meeting and I'm happy to report that he was extremely pleased with the finished product. Those pictures will follow later.  

     This aquascaping thing is actually one of my favorite aspects of the hobby. Give me some live rock and leave me alone with a tank and I'll be happy. Give me some live rock and this concrete and I'm even happier! 

     Until the next blog....happy reefing!


No comments:

Post a Comment